I actually learn of VirtualBox via Twitter.
That’s one of the things I realize from Twitter – people talk about things they like. One person says it… Then a couple of months later you hear another one that has something nice to say. Then you hear from a third guy.
Word of Mouth advertising. It works.
What is VirtualBox – why do I need this?
VirtualBox is Sun/Oracle’s virtualization host.
- It is free for personal use.
- It can host x64 (better than Virtual PC)
- It can understand both VMDK and VHD formats (beats Virtual PC or VMWare)
- It is faster than Virtual PC
- You can create new VM with VirtualBox (beats VMWare Player)
How does it compare with other offerings?
Here’s a totally unscientific chart based on my understanding:
|Free||x64 client OS||Create VM||Virtual HD||Neeed Speeed|
(Win Server x64)
|Boot to VHD||Yes (Win7)||Yes||No||VHD||Fastest|
Anyway, VirtualBox and Boot to VHD are my two picks.