A discipline involving the study of the human past through its material remains.
This is probably not an uncommon scenario:
- You have an outdated project (or project plan)
- You have some source code (may be in different branches in your source control)
- You have some old emails about what various people needed
- For some reason (low priority, budget, time), things were never done
- You have a list of players who have left the project / company / industry / country
Your task, is to resurrect the project and make it work (again):
I was looking for a word to describe this special branch of Computer Science discipline. And I think I've found it.
In my words, a study of the remains of ideas that were left in the system, and trying to reconstruct the past to work out a picture for the present and the future.